Call: 847-455-6016 Text: 847-220-4616 Fax: 847-455-6416
M-Th: 9-9 F-Sat: 9-5 Sun: 1-5
1899 — Franklin Park’s first library opened at 9602 Franklin Ave. It was sponsored by the Ladies Literary and Social Club (now the Franklin Park Woman’s Club).
1925 — Members of the Ladies Literary and Social Club asked the Village of Franklin Park to financially support the library. The library moved to the Waterworks building (9560 Franklin Ave.) sometime before 1925.
1932 — The book collection disbanded and the library closed.
1936 — W.P.A. reopened the library at 3113 Atlantic (old Village Hall).
1939 — W.P.A. funds ran out, but the Franklin Park Woman’s Club stepped in and kept the library going (Geraldine Loebig, librarian).
1941 — Gladyce Loebig replaced her daughter as librarian. Village ordinance passed to establish and maintain a free public library and reading room in the Village of Franklin Park. Village also appointed a 9-member Board of Directors for the library.
1956 — The library returned to the Waterworks building, while Village Hall was undergoing renovations.
1962 — A referendum to allow the library to become tax supported and an election of six library directors was held. The library board hired Louise F. Keuck as librarian.
1964 — The library moved to 9618 Franklin Ave.
1967 — The library joined DuPage Library System.
1970 — The library became a “Politically Independent Special Service District” (Library District). The library won the John Cotton Dana Publicity Award for cooperation with Franklin Park Law Enforcement for a project on drug abuse.
1972 — The library purchased the first parcel of land where the new library would later be built.
1974 — The library service area expanded to include the Marconi sub-division and Crown Road area.
1979 — The Board of Trustees of the Village of Franklin Park voted to make the library the Official Repository of local history information.
1981 — The last parcel of land was purchased for the site of the new library.
1983 — The library “went online.”
1984 — The new library was built and dedicated at 10311 Grand Ave. Ida Bullen was hired as Executive Director.
1987 — Robert Watson was hired as Executive Director.
1989 — The North Wing was built and dedicated. This construction project included the Children’s Room, Small Meeting Room and Community Room. The Children's Room was renamed the Margaret Menet Children's Room.
1991 — The new Local History Room was built and dedicated.
1998 — The library began providing public Internet access to district residents.
June 1998 — The library's Book Discussion Group held its first meeting.
1999 — The library celebrated its 100th anniversary.
May 2000 — The library's web site, franklinparklibrary.org, debuted.
March 2003 — Our new online catalog, iBistro, debuted to rave reviews.
Oct. 2003 — Marie Saeli became our Executive Director.
Summer 2007 — The library saw a major facelift, with new paint and carpeting, some new furniture, and all new public computers.
Feb. 2008--The library's website was redesigned and upgraded to use Drupal, a content-management system, allowing for more interactivity. Instant messaging reference service was also introduced.
Summer 2008--Public computers are upgraded with time and print management software.
2009--With social networking taking off, library Facebook and Twitter pages were created.
Fall 2010--Downloadable eBooks and audiobooks arrived at the library through eMediaLibrary.
Feb. 2011--The library's mobile website and app are introduced.
Summer 2011--The library became a part of RAILS (Reaching Across Illinois Library System) on account of the merger of Alliance, DuPage, Metropolitan, North Suburban, and Prairie Area library systems. Library lighting was also replaced and upgraded to a more efficient system using LED lighting.
Fall 2011--Text messaging reference service and text message notifications are offered.
Feb. 2012--The Digital Media Lab, a place for people to create and manipulate their own digital content, is offered to the public.
April 2012--The Library undergoes an interior renovation. The wireless network is also upgraded.
May 2012--The Library introduced a new website: fppld.org.